Friday 1 August 2014

Blog Challenge Day 5: E is for Encouragement

I could write about exercices I try to do regularly (pay attention to the word "try"). I could tell you about some of the experiences of my life. Or about explorations that give me a thrill. Or about emotions I feel every time I see my husband after a long and hard day or when I read what my mum wrote for me inside the books, notebooks and cards. As much as all of those things are important, fun, they matter to me and they're part of your life as well, I want to write about something what involves both of us and if you haven't heard them from me yet, I do apologise. And I promise, you'll one day. They are the words of encouragement.
 
In the world where more often we hear you're not good enough, not pretty enough, not smart enough, you're really messed up that last project, you're not going to get far in your life and other ugly things, we need to value the power of the words of encouragement, no matter where they come from. You look pretty in this dress - you should wear it more often. You're really good at photography - start taking professional pictures and submit them for a competition. You should be singing professionally - I really like your concerts in the shower, let more people enjoy them. Yes, let's do it. Let's try, even if we fail.
 
I wish I was encouraging people more often, but usually scepticism and realism take over. But, as in every part of live, when we want to encourage someone we need to relax and see what's going to happen. I always try to see positive characteristics in all people I know. It's something that is special about them and I plead guilty for not telling them that and for not encouraging them to do something about it.
 
I love this anecdote quoted in a book called "Strengths finder 2.0" and originally coming from Mark Twain. The writer once described a man who died and met Saint Peter at the Pearly Gates... Knowing that Saint Peter was very wise, the man asked a question that he had wondered about throughout his life.
He said, "Saint Peter, I have been interested in military history for many years. Who was the greatest general of all time?"
Saint Peter quickly responded, "Oh that's a simple question. It's that man right over there."
"You must be mistaken," responded the man, now very perplexed. "I knew that man on earth, and he was just a common labourer."
"That's right my friend," assured Saint Peter. "He would have been the greatest general of all time, if he had been a general."
What if he was encouraged to be a military?

Encouragement gives birth to enthusiasm and enthusiasm is like a released super power. You never know where it's going to take you. So today, I encourage you all with all my love for you good people, sit and watch this video from Tina Roth Eisenberg and be truly encouraged to become more than you've ever dreamt about.
  



Tina Roth Eisenberg: 5 Rules for Making an Impact from 99U on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment